THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVER RENDERED A SINGLE CHARACTER. EVER! O_O
There are 29 different expressions on Alistair up there. Yep. 29. Each one a separate render. Holy cow, I've never taken on a project like this and actually completed
it before! I tried this meme once, but gave up after the first four expressions (mostly because render time was so slow). Now, with LuxRender and a much better understanding of posing, I was able to get through all of these in about a week.
But boy, did I have fun.
P.S.: Yes, I totally tag you,
! Let's see some Efron love!
As noted in the Deviation, I've got quite a few comments on some of these expressions, and they just all wouldn't fit in the little comment box. So, here it goes:
- Neutral: I actually made an effort to give him a neutral expression, not just a render of the figure with no expression applied. I think this looks natural enough.
- Happy: I like this one, just because it's a very nice, casually happy smile. Not his usual snark, like in the main portrait I made of him. Here, he's genuinely happy.
- Afraid: I can't help but giggle when I look at this one, then promptly make the same face and laugh again. It was a challenge to figure out how to make that inverted-D shaped mouth, but it was well worth figuring it out in the end. Actually, getting the eyes realistically wide was harder.
- Angry: One of my favorites, and the first of his "mean" faces.
- Love: The only render with any postwork on it (added a slight blush to his ears and cheeks). I had to think a lot on this one, since I can't imagine Alistair ever having been or being in love. If it happens, I figure this would be one of his rare, genuine emotions.
- Disgusted: I love the sneer in this one. Just love it.
- Surprised: It was a challenge to make this different from Afraid. Even changing the mouth, I had to tweak the position of the head a bit to make it look like a notably different expression.
- Confused: *giggles uncontrollably* I made this face in the mirror a few times and tried to mimic it on Alistair. I got pretty close, but I still can't look at it without giggling.
- Shy: D'awww... bashful Alistair is cute!
- Miserable: Not entirely satisfied with this one, but pleased enough. I was going to postwork in tears, but got fed up and left it as is. This is one of two expressions I rendered two versions of. According to my roommates, the first version looked too much like he was, um, climaxing to work . After reworking, I agree though. This is a vast improvement.
- Lust: How you doin'? (Now try to imagine that with a British accent and not laugh.)
- Rage: Dialed up from the basic Angry expression. I happily discovered how to raise the top lip to really drive that snarl in, and thus another one of my favorites was made.
- Scorn: Another on practiced in the mirror first, and the first time I really used the side-to-side dial for the mouth. I like how it comes off very haughty.
- Sympathy: I can't look at this without hearing the song "Trust Me" from Devil's Carnival playing in my head. One of his fake emotions: he doesn't really sympathize with anyone; he only pretends to.
- Guilt: MY FAVORITE EXPRESSION. Since he's a sociopath (read: feels no guilt) I went with the "guilty as sin" interpretation. I. Love. It.
- Hysteria: Just making it clear that crazy runs in his family.
- Envy: Angry + Scorn, then toned down into a simmering glare. I like how this one came out.
- Pride: Snark! So! Much! Snark! Second only to the Guilt one when it comes to my favorites.
- Embarrassment: The other one I had to redo. The first one wasn't quite dynamic enough and fell very flat. When I took a second shot at it, I built off of the Shy expression, and still managed to soften it. I'm very pleased with his lip here; that took forever to tweak properly so he could be biting it.
- Bored: Oddly fun to make. Didn't take me long to set up either.
- Annoyed: Angry + Disgust, with the mouth emphasized. I was initially going to use this as Frustrated, until the more I thought about it, the more I realized that he'd be annoyed at a person (thus, direct eye contact) and frustrated with a situation (thus his averted gaze on the other expression).
- Content: I imagine this is how he gets when he curls up with his headphones and a nice cup of tea.
- Submission: I like this one. I really like this one. If Alistair ever gets captured and this is the result, I will be torn between torturing my character and freaking out (mostly because I don't want to lose my character, no matter how dramatically awesome the scene is).
- Frustrated: A challenge to set up, but worth the effort for the final expression. By the time I was done, I'd been frustrated many times, so I had plenty of reference.
- Excited: Dialed up from Happy, and a great way to end the series of expressions, I think.
Whew! That was a lot! But it was totally fun!
Set up in DAZ|Studio, rendered in LuxRender via Reality, no postwork except for composition (and minor touch-up on Love).
Expressions for my character, Alistair, as featured here:You can read the start of his adventure here!
Blank Meme by
Other references by